Research within the Center for Immunology focuses on several key aspects of immunity.
Tolerance and autoimmunity
- How does the immune system acquire tolerance to self-proteins?
- How are self-reactive T and B lymphocytes eliminated during development?
- What are the biochemical mechanisms by which T cell tolerance is maintained in the peripheral immune system?
- Why does the immune system have so much difficulty recognizing tumor cells as foreign?
- How do the various cells in the immune system collaborate to maintain tolerance to self proteins?
- What are the consequences of a breakdown in immunological tolerance?
- What is the molecular basis of autoimmune diseases?
Binstadt, Farrar, Fife, Gillespie, Gregerson, Hogquist, Jenkins, Kaplan, Khoruts, Mescher, Mueller, Peterson, Vezys
- How does the immune system respond to antigenic peptides?
- How does immunological memory develop?
- What are the biochemical signaling pathways that initiate and regulate T and B cell activation?
- How are T cells maintained in the body in a state of readiness?
- What is the molecular basis for the antibody response?
- What are the mechanisms that regulate the movement of leukocytes through the body?
- How do T cells regulate the function of other T cells?
Blazar, Bohjanen, Fife, Jameson, Mescher, Mueller, Peterson, Shimizu
- How are T and B lymphocytes educated during development to distinguish between self and non-self?
- What are the environmental cues that regulate lymphocyte development?
- What are the biochemical pathways that regulate T and B cell development?
- How do undifferentiated stem cells develop into hematopoietic cells?
Blazar, Farrar, Hogquist, Jameson, Kaufman, Largaespada, Miller, Van Ness
- What is the immunological basis of transplant rejection?
- How can our knowledge of the immune system be used to enhance the survival of transplants?
- What are the mechanisms of rejection in xenotransplantation?
Blazar, Fife, Kyba, Miller, Tolar
- Can we use our understanding of how the immune system functions to develop new and more effective immunotherapies?
Fife, Jameson, Kaufman, Mescher, Miller, Pennell
Immune response to infection
- How is the host immune response to pathogens regulated?
- What are the cellular and cytokine signals required for protective immunity against infection?
- What are the unique features for activating pathogen-responses at mucosal infection sites?
- How can we optimize vaccination for protective immunity?
Harris, Jameson, Jenkins, John, Kaplan, Masopust, Mescher, Peterson, Shimizu, Vezys, Walcheck