The Center for Immunology (CFI) creates an exceptional community for postdoctoral fellows. We offer state of the art facilities and a support system that was celebrated in 2009 when The Scientist named the University of Minnesota one of the best workplaces for postdocs, in part because of the strength of mentoring by faculty and opportunities for professional development. The University of Minnesota Graduate School also manages the application process for the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships program, which provides funding to the very best postdoctoral applicants, both nationally and internationally, who will positively contribute to the country's economic, social and research-based growth.
Persons interested in post-doctoral positions should contact the faculty member whose work most closely matches their own interests. There is no formal date for applications which are considered on their individual merits however, application should be made at least one year in advance as space is often very limited.
Tips for finding a Postdoctoral research training position in CFI:
- Find principal investigators whose work is of interest to you. Go to our Faculty page, you can browse the research being done by our investigators under their bios or website links.
- You should then contact the investigator(s) that you are interested in working for directly, by sending an email inquiring about postdoctoral training opportunities. When you talk to the PI tell them about your skills and career goals and why you are uniquely suited to join their research team.
- Make sure to attach a C.V. and include all the contact information for people who can provide references.
- You should also look for postdoctoral funding opportunities that you might apply for if accepted into the lab.
- Becoming a Postdoc written by Ann L. Miller is a great resource to prepare you for a successful Postdoctoral career.
The University of Minnesota has an active post-doctoral support network called the Post-Doctoral Association. The Post-Doctoral Association is a way to network with other post-doctoral associates at the University of Minnesota.