Funding for Postdoctoral Students
Fund Your Research
It is common for postdocs to be supported by their PI initially, but often postdocs will be asked to find their own funding at some point. Here are some resources that may help you start your search for funding.
Fellowships are competitive award
Plan ahead, if you are interested in applying for a fellowship. Most fellowship competitions have deadlines six to 12 months prior to their award dates, and they usually require personal statements and letters of recommendation that may take several months to compile. Give yourself plenty of time to write, re-write and gather supplementary materials.
Fellowships are typically very competitive, and many students apply for several fellowships at one time. Some competitions require nominations from departments or a faculty members. When asking your department to consider nominating you, be prepared to provide documentation to justify your nomination.
Need some guidance on applying for grants and fellowships? Learn more from a recentcompendium of tipsfrom Yale’s grants office. See below for more tips and tricks from UMN OVPR, UMN graduate office and several other academic institutions from across the US.
- non-NIH funding opportunities
- The Pathways to Science Portal hosts opportunities across a range of STEM disciplines, funded by NSF, NASA, NIH, and university and research labs across the country. Along with funding opportunities find a library, webinars, and tips on applying, interviewing, and negotiating a postdoc position.
- The Ph.D. Student’s Guide to Fellowships-A start-to-finish guide to help you land the perfect fellowship. Thousands of fellowships at your fingertips…
Past Proposal Writing Workshop Videos
- Writing Fundable Grants in Sciences & Engineering, proposal writing workshop 2020 Slides HERE
- Writing Grant Proposals in the Sciences & Engineering: by Dr. Esam El-Fakahany. Video HERE (Spring 2019)
- Training Video with tips on how to complete your application and write effective proposals and budgets!
- Branco Weiss Fellowship (science, engineering, social sciences)
- Burroughs Wellcome Fund: Career Awards for Medical Scientists
- Burroughs Wellcome Fund: Postdoctoral Enrichment Program
- Cancer Research Institute
- Cancer Society
- Jane Coffin Childs Memorial Fund for Medical Research
- EMBO Long-Term Fellowships
- Fulbright Postdoctoral/Early Career Grants
- L'Oréal USA for Women in Science Fellowship
- Schmidt Science Fellowships
Diversity Fellowship Programs:
Funded Research Databases (Federal)
Both NIH and NSF maintain public databases of grants awarded. This is a valuable tool for assessing whether proposed research is in the realm of what is being funded by either agency. These records include an abstract of the funded research, the funding opportunity announcement under which the proposal was submitted, names of principal investigators and program officers, dollars awarded, (for NIH) the study section that reviewed the grant proposal, and the divisions or institutes funding the research. Both are kept up-to-date to reflect awards made through the last day or two.
- Grants.goveral government’s central resource for funding opportunity announcements (FOAs) and submission of applications to sponsoring agencies.
Federal Government Funding Opportunities
For information about funding available through the federal government, please see this February 2020 compendium, organized by the agency that runs the program.